The digital age is upon us. With thousands of millennials ready to work and huge cost savings of digital strategies, every organization needs to get on the bus or be left behind.
But, with so many available technologies and solutions, where do you start?
Here are five simple steps adapted from Forbes.com that we love:
1. BYOD. This is “an oldie but good.”Giving employees the option to work with their own devices- tablets, desktops, laptops, mobile phones, etc., gives them the flexibility to connect anytime, anywhere, the way they want.
This initiative can help employeers and engineers better understand what their customers are using and thus,develop mobile services that are better aligned with current market trends.
2. Strong Communications Infrastructure. This is a big one. If you do not have a strong communications infrastructure, all your digital planning won’t matter or help. Create an infrastructure that allows employees to contact remotely, as well as in the office.
Do your research when acquiring communications technologies. Ensuring that all technologies function togethersmoothly is crucial. Set up demos and trial periods when you can and talk to industry analysts for unbiased opinions. Also,ask for customer referrals before making a decision. Make sure your infrastructure canhandle simultaneous voice, video, and data communication, both in and outside the company network.
3. Business Applications. Providing employees a way to connectin real time increases productivity and time managment. These types of applications also help virtual teams work cohesively and interact effectively. With certain business applications documents can be stored centrally and accessed easily, letting team members collaborate on changesand editing with out waiting on an email or another team member.For example, if your company uses Google as an email engine you can share documents on Google drive and edit, create, and update in real time. You can make it private or public and share with as many team members as you’d like.
4. Workplace Communications Tools. This includes phone conferencing, company meetings, email engines, IM and video tools. These tools have a strong influence on motivation, performance, and productivity. Using video conference tools, as well as mobile-to-mobile phone plans, can greatly reduce cost and increase production.
Here at HireVue we use lots of different tools to keep everyone connected and productive including; Google hangouts, HipChat, AT&T, WebEx and more. We use these tools to keep everyone up to date, connected and motivated.
5. Digital Security. The introduction of cloud computing, social media, and mobile computing technologies has created data security issues worldwide, as seen on the news most recently. This makes companies leary of obtaining new technology.However, new technologies now allow companies to store information securely with a hybrid solution, in the cloud and on a home base in the corporate office.
Do your research here. The correct solution will enable offline data access and seamless peer-to-peer activities among devices,as well as provide backup if a security breach occurred.
Creating a puredigital work environment is quite a challenge but if you begin today, you will have an advantage in cost savings, productivity and collaboration. Start with one solution at a time and build upon each solution. In no time at all you will have a digital workplace that will help attract top talent and keep your employeesmotivated, happy, loyal and hardworking. In addition, this will keep your company competitivewith the social and business transformations taking place around the world.